Herbs and Shea Butter

 

During my 1st trimester I was so absorbed with reading about everything to do with pregnancy. It was all so new to me, so many questions and so much mystery. I was so overwhelmed with the book selections and the internet just caused more anxiety. But I managed to buy two books during this time, one being "The Natural Pregnancy Book" by Aviva Jill Romm. A great holistic guide for pregnancy As time has gone on I have become more relaxed with the whole pregnancy process. Once I told the community of my news I have been filled with so much good information and tips from so many lovely women. So many amazing mothers in the place I live, it truly is wonderful. So back to the herbs... Being a coffee drinker it has been a bit of a hard transition from my creamy morning coffee to my herbal tea. But these herbs are packed with so many nutrients very important for the baby and I. So here goes a little list of my favorite herbs and their healing properties during pregnancy. 

Nettle- a great supplier of highly usable vitamins and minerals, promoting healthy kidney function, strengthening the blood vessels, reducing varicosities, and decreasing the likelihood of hemorrhaging at the time of birth. Very effective for nourishing the blood and preventing anemia, highly important during pregnancy. 
Alfalfa- a common agricultural plant, not super high in healing properties but packed with protein, vitamin A, D, E, B6 and K, calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, trace minerals, and digestive enzymes.
Red Raspberry Leaf-  helps tone the uterus plus packed with lots of vitamins and minerals. Also very beneficial during your monthly moon cycle. 

~Herb information taken from "The Natural Pregnancy Book." Everyone's bodies are so different so these herbs might not be right for you.  

There are many more herbs that are very beneficial for pregnant women but these are the base of so many pregnancy teas. I also bought from Mountain Rose Herbs, a jar of shea butter for my growing/stretching body. I plan to mix it with a little almond oil so it rubs in better but just it alone has been really nice. Shea butter also has mild sunscreen properties. An all around great moisturizer. Well I could go on for days about all the things I have learned during these past few months but those are just a few of my favorite herbs.

If you have never been to the Mountian Rose Herbs website, I highly recommend it. They have tons of lose all organic herbs, teas blends, body butters essential for making your own salve or lotion plus lots more. 

~post inspired by my dear friend Kyra, my tea and herbal mentor